The weekly staple in South African kitchens, the good old roast chicken. Try this simple yet elegant take on roast chicken covered with creme fraiche and herbs
Roast Chicken with Creme Fraiche and Herbs
- 300 ml creme fraiche have extra on standby
- 1 Whole Chicken roughly 1.3kg
- 4 Garlic cloves thinly sliced
- a few springs of fresh thyme
- 1 shallot thinly sliced – or red onion
- bunch of fresh parsley leaves removed abd chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- In a bowl, mix the creme fraiche, garlic, shallot, thyme and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Spoon half the mixture inside the cavity of the chicken and truss the chicken securely with kicthen twine.
- Rub the remaining mixture all over the chicken, be sure to rub under the wings and thighs
- Season lightly with salt and place in a roasting pan
- Roast the chicken, roughly 1 hour – but check if the juices run clear.
- Be sure to check halfway through and add a spoon or two of water if the bottom is drying out
- Once cooked, leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving