The classic Leg of Lamb, but lets add a twist. Roast Leg of Lamb with Lavender. Yes, Lavender. The all time favourites are Rosemary, Thyme, Mint. Mix things up a bt with the fragrant Lavender.
VERY IMPORTANT: Use the exact amount, do not overdo the lavender as it will then make the food bitter. Also, only use the flowers – nothing else. No stalks etc. Just the lavender flowers.
Roast Leg of Lamb with Lavender
- 1.5 kg Leg of Lamb
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bulb Garlic unpeeled – sliced in half
- 150 ml Olive Oil
- 2 shallots unpeeled and halved
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 8 lavender sprigs FLOWER HEADS ONLY
- Preparation is done the day before for this dish
- Get a roasting tin that fits in the fridge and line it with cling film – enough t wrap the lamb in.
- Place the lamb in, and season with pepper only
- Add the garlic bulb and 6 lavender flower heads
- Add 90ml of the olive oil over the top of the lamb
- Rub the seasongs a in thoroughly and spread the oil all over the lamb
- Wrap the lamb in the cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- When ready the next day, pre heat the over to 200°C
- Unwarp the lamb and place it in the roasting tin, dab it slightly with a kicthen towel
- Pierec it a few times with a sharp knife and push a halved garlic clove in each one
- Add the shallots to the pan, spread out
- Pour remaining oil over top of the lamb and season with Salt and Pepper
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour – outside will be nice and brown but pink in the middle
- Remove the lamb from the tin and wrap in foil to keep warm
- Pour 100ml in the tin to deglaze and put back in the oven for 3-5 minutes until reduced.
- Unwrap the lamb, try and save as much juice as posssible in the foil and pour it in the roasting tin. You cannot buy that flavour!
- Slice the lamb and drizzle it with the juice, sprinkle remainng °lavender flowers.